If you’re concerned about seeking care for your child at this time, rest assured. It’s safe to resume care, no matter your child’s needs. We are taking thoughtful steps to ensure Riley Children’s Health locations remain safe for patients, parents and caregivers.
Our masking procedures and requirements have been updated per CDC recommendations in all facilities to further prevent COVID-19 transmission from those who may be infected, whether or not they are showing symptoms. These policies reflect the latest information and the current status of supplies available.
- Everyone entering a Riley Children’s Health or IU Health facility over age 2, both inpatient and outpatient, will be required to wear a medical-grade surgical or isolation mask. This includes visitors, patients and team members. Masks are available at public entrances from guest relations.
- All patients should wear a mask while in our facilities except when in their room.
- All new patients and visitors will continue to be screened for symptoms when entering our facilities and will be provided a mask to wear. If symptomatic and a parent/guardian of a pediatric patient, the parent/guardian may be masked and continue to their destination or asked to reschedule their visit, depending upon the urgency of the appointment and patient care required.
- Please remember, children younger than 2 should NOT be masked. Learn more from Pediatric Hospitalist Dr. Emily Scott on alternative options.
- Homemade cloth masks are no longer allowed.
Riley at IU Health will allow up to two adult visitors to visit together, in all Riley at IU Health facilities. All visitors must follow all COVID-19 protocols while on-site. For pediatric patients, two adult visitors may stay overnight.
Hospital Visitor Guidelines
Up to two adult care partners may visit at the same time. Visitation hours are not restricted. Up to two overnight visitors are allowed as long as the patient's condition and room layout permits. Parents and guardians must:
- Follow all COVID-19 protocols while on-site (screen negative, mask at all times, practice hand hygiene, maintain social distance).
- Patients may not go off their units except for testing.
- Visits to the Child Life Zone at our main campus downtown have been stopped until further notice; child life activities are performed at the bedside or virtually
NICU Visitor Guidelines
Due to a steady increase in RSV cases, it is necessary to put additional visitor guidelines in place in Riley at IU Health NICUs. This includes Riley Hospital for Children and the Riley at IU Health NICUs at IU Health Methodist and North hospitals. These guidelines are also in place in the Riley at IU Health North Pediatric unit and the IU Health West Special Care Nursery.
NICU visitation guidelines will allow:
- Two parents/guardians, 18 years or older
- Only two parents/guardians can stay overnight
- Only two visitors in the room at a time
- Visitors can switch out between parents/guardians and designated visitors as frequently as they wish outside the unit
Maternity Visitor Guidelines
Due to an increase in RSV cases and the focus on keeping patients safe, Riley at IU Health has expanded current NICU RSV visitor guidelines to Maternity units at Riley at IU Health and IU Health Methodist hospitals.
Maternity unit visitation guidelines will allow:
- Two visitors during the day. Visitors must be 18 or older (with an exception for the significant other of the patient)
- Up to two visitors are allowed to remain for labor and birth 24/7
- One adult visitor may stay overnight with Mom/Baby and antepartum
- Only two visitors are allowed in the room at the time after delivery. Visitors may switch out outside of the maternity unit
Up to two companions/parents/adult guardians may accompany a patient (exceptions allowed when siblings accompany the parent and patient). Please remember, besides in-person visits, we continue to offer Virtual Visits or visits by telephone based on your child’s needs. Call your provider’s office to schedule. Here is what you can expect at your child’s in-office appointment for your safety:
- We will screen all visitors for COVID-19 at the entrance.
- All visitors must follow all COVID-19 protocols while on-site (screen negative, mask at all times if over age 2, practice hand hygiene, maintain social distance).
- If the companion/parent/guardian does not pass the screening, another companion/parent/guardian can be screened, or the appointment will be rescheduled.
- If the parent/guardian accompanying the patient is symptomatic, please call the clinic in advance to determine if the appointment needs to be rescheduled.
- All office staff and providers will be wearing a mask.
- All patients and visitors age 2 and older will be required to wear a mask, which we will provide.
- We follow strict procedures for cleaning surfaces between each patient visit.
- We have spaced out waiting areas to enable social distancing and set up new ways to limit your time spent in waiting areas.
The Riley Safe Care Pledge
The Riley Safe Care Pledge
- Universal Mask Mandate: All team members will wear masks at every Riley Children’s Health care facility. Patients and caregivers will be required to wear masks also, provided at no cost. You can read our full mask policy below.
- Limited Waiting Room Time: We are working hard to significantly decrease (or even eliminate) the time you spend in waiting rooms.
- Social Distancing Priority: We support social distancing guidelines by visibly displaying six-foot distances and re-configuring spaces in each of our facilities wherever possible.
- Continual Disinfecting: We are enhancing our disinfecting procedures so that spaces remain thoroughly clean throughout the day.
- Visiting Guidelines: We welcome two parents or adult guardians for all patients younger than 18 in all outpatient, emergency and inpatient settings. While two may visit, only one parent/guardian may stay in the patient’s room overnight, with limited exceptions. We ask that only one parent/guardian, and no siblings, accompany a child to their appointment to minimize the number of people in our offices. Scroll up to read the full visitor guidelines policy above.