Roasted Turkey and Basil Cream Cheese Pinwheel Sandwiches
- 1 large head of romaine lettuce
- 4 ounces whipped cream cheese
- 1 cup baby spinach leaves, loosely packed
- 8 large fresh basil leaves
- A pinch of Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 ten-inch flour tortillas
- 8 slices of oven-roasted deli turkey (about 8 ounces)
- 1 whole roasted pepper from a jar, sliced into ¼ inch strips (about ½ cup)
- 1 cup of shredded carrots
- Pull the largest four romaine leaves from the outside of the bunch and wash and dry carefully, trying not to tear the leaves. Cut the leaves at the base where they were connected to the root; the pieces should be about 9-inches long. Using a vegetable peeler, shave the center rib so the leaves roll up more easily. Set aside.
- Combine the cream cheese, spinach and basil in a food processor and puree until smooth. Make sure that a parent is helping to operate the food processor.
- Season with 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt and a few grinds of pepper.
- Lay one of the tortillas on a clean work surface and add one of the romaine leaves to fit neatly on top.
- Place 2 slices of turkey next to each other, covering the lettuce.
- Spread 2 tablespoons of the cream cheese mixture over the surface of the turkey and line up a quarter of the roasted pepper strips along one edge.
- Line up 1/4 cup of the shredded carrot just above the peppers. Begin rolling the wrap tightly starting from the edge with the peppers and carrots, so the wrap holds together with the peppers and carrots in the middle.
- Place the wrap seam-side down. Repeat with the remaining tortillas, vegetables, turkey and cream cheese spread.
- Cut the wraps into 1-inch pieces, then pierce each segment with a toothpick or skewer from the outside of the tortilla through the seam on the bottom.
Why It’s Great
Not only do these sandwiches look great, they are great for you. Packed with protein and healthy vegetables, these pinwheels are a real deal snack for you to enjoy all month long.